PODCAST: How to Succeed in Social Media Marketing
In May 2008 I did an interview about social media marketing with Muhammad Saleem. That’s right, four years ago! As I reviewed the content, I found it interesting how applicable the same social media strategy is today.
The thought came to mind:
Some things will change; but others will remain the same.
Then I found this picture:
As you can see, he’s made some “changes” (to the tune of about 70 total pounds lost)! Congrats to Muhammad.
The core strategies of social media marketing, on the other hand, haven’t changed too much at all.
Using Social Media effectively will DEFINITELY help your organic search engine rankings and recognition in the online communities.
However, if you “expect value without creating value” you’re going to FAIL and fail hard.
Interview with Muhammad Saleem about Social Media Marketing
5 Basic Social Media Steps anyone can use:
- Building Relationships
- Being a part of a community
- Understanding the dynamics of different communities
- Sharing the right kind of content
- Voting and commenting on other peoples content
Social Media Manual: 10 Steps to take to become the Next Social Media Maven
Why Do you love Social Media?
The community aspects: you become a part of the whole process of submitting, voting, commenting, engaging and being a part of the process of opinion on things you’re interested in or passionate about.
3 Tips for Beginning to Intermediate Social Media Marketers
- Understand the community before you start participating: what the age demographic is, what stories are popular, avoid mistakes
- Build relationships with other visitors: talk to people, IM, comment on their stories, bookmark their stuff
- Make sure your main goal is to not just promote yourself: create value for the community by submitting other peoples stuff, vote and comment on other peoples stuff, be part of the community, share content from other people to create value that doesn’t come directly back to you – it’s more than just scratching one another’s back – it’s bigger than that
How does effective SMO influence a website’s presence?
- Traffic, Traffic, Traffic: 10’s of Thousands of unique visitors, thousands of page views on a post
- Building links: hundreds to thousands of links – the more links you have, the higher you get ranked in search, which makes long-term organic traffic from search engines.
Thanks again for your information Muhammad. Stay tuned for more podcasting at MollerMarketing.com.